Universiti Teknologi Malaysia has launched BLOSSOMS project or a blended learning system for learning Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) subjects in collaboration with Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), United States of America taking place starting 8 January 2013. The project that includes collaboration with Ministry of Education Malaysia (MoE) is a new teaching approach to encourage students to learn Science and Mathematics. BLOSSOMS is a video-based learning resource that complements the available curriculum. It is unlike traditional video-based learning because the video lesson is separated in segments including learning activities in between, facilitated by the content experts. The main focus is to enhance understanding about abstract concepts especially in Science, Mathematics and Engineering subjects.
BLOSSOMS project becomes very relevant and is significant for Malaysia education system. It plays the role to escalate the number of students enrolling in science streams by fostering interest and improving understanding in science-related subjects at school level particularly to resolve misconceptions in a more interactive way. The followings are the important elements of BLOSSOMS:
- BLOSSOMS has interesting pedagogy for more effective and meaningful learning. It is especially useful to assist less experienced teachers or teachers lacking in the levels of Pedagogical Content Knowledge (PCK). These teachers can conduct lessons using BLOSSOMS video which has been prepared in sections and can be immediately applied.
- BLOSSOMS supports the idea and the need for nurturing STEM. Using BLOSSOMS video, teaching and learning occurs in an active, creative and critical way. Students’ understanding will be improved through learning instructions that foster memory retention about the learning content and learning activities that involves application of learning content in daily life activities. This includes analyzing, conducting experiment, discussion and solving problem in a creative way. These approaches are in line with Pelan Pembangunan Pendidikan Malaysia 2013-2015 that aspires to enhance higher order thinking skills among Malaysian students (KPM, 2012).
UTM have developed more than 10 BLOSSOMS Video Lessons. Click the following link for the details.
- Electrochemistry: Electroplating
- Fantastic Factorials
- Fence Your Equation
- How Hot Is Hot? Heat versus Temperature
- Is There A Connection Between Computer Network Topologies And A Malaysian Wedding?
- I Am a Novice Marathoner: Sources of Energy for the Big Race
- Save Our Kingdom (in relation to the chemistry topic – Conservation of Mass)
- Soaring in The Wind: The Science of Kite Flying
- The Art of Making Layer Cakes: Proper Construction of Bituminous Roads and Highways
- Thermodynamics: Energy Conversion in Generating Electricity
- Why Pay More?
- Why Neutralize? Impact on Health and the Environment
UTM-MIT BLOSSOMS Project has become a great succes with varies achievement in Malaysia and International.
- 3 Shortlisted projects: QS Re-imagine Education 2015 (UTM-MIT BLOSSOMS)
- RECOGNITION by MIT : UTM Blossoms (Malaysia) as the best among 11 country partners, in all aspects;